A good friend showed me a code generator that their company had whipped up over a couple of days, and I was intrigued by the approach. It is reasonably straightforward, and I thought there must be more to this and there was!
Kathleen Dollard’s Pluralsight course
Hundreds of million of dollars have been sunk into code generation.
Tailored Code Generators
Tool: Essential Key take aways:
- Generation of Sample Data
- The templating should be clean and easy to grasp
- Model checker
- Composable – partial model definition, extensibility
- Naming policy
- Consistent UI Patterns – Master-Detail, Filter, Collection of objects, Navigation, Command, Selection, Task
- Conceptual UI Patterns – Login, Instance, Population, Wizard, Filter http://pjmolina.com/cuip
- Order criteria
- Display set
- Rendering – Grid
The real advantage:
- Technology Forward Escape
The guy who wrote this presentation also runs radarc which is an impressive suite.
Kathleen Dollard has a post and some sample code like Strongly Typed Metadata Classes. There’s a finite amount of metadata. By drawing a line between metadata and software, it works around having bad architecture.